A thin metal sheet is aluminium foil. As a result, it can operate as a complete barrier to mould, moisture, gases, scents, and bacteria. Aluminum's strong reflectivity ensures effective insulation against radiant heat, but its opacity is crucial in protecting light-sensitive foods and beverages from deteriorating. Both packaging and non-packaging applications use it.
Producing aluminium foil involves either constantly casting and cold rolling, or rolling sheet ingots made from molten aluminium, then rolling them again to the necessary thickness on sheet and foil rolling mills. Beta radiation is transmitted through the foil to a sensor on the other side in order to maintain a constant thickness during the manufacture of aluminium foil. The rollers adjust, increasing the thickness, if the intensity rises too high. The rollers increase their pressure, making the foil thinner if the intensities drop too low and it becomes too thick.
During the rolling phases, lubrication is necessary to prevent the foil surface from developing a herringbone pattern. Prior to going through the mill rolls, the foil surface is treated with these lubricants. Although oils suitable for food contact must be used for foil used for food packing, kerosene-based lubricants are frequently employed.
Aluminium foil is used for pharmaceutical packaging because it has good barrier qualities against oxygen vapour and moisture, making it ideal for creating an inert environment for the storage of hygroscopic medicinal tablets and capsules.
• Pharmaceutical tablets
• Bulk & unitized packing of tea and coffee
• Prepared meals
• Bakery products
• Frozen meat, fish
• Milk bottle caps
• Lube Oil, greases
• Powdered milk
• Photographic film
• Gift wraps
• Household wraps
• Butter, margarine
Aluminum foil is widely used in food and pharmaceutical packaging because it completely blocks out odours, flavours, moisture, bacteria, and light, oxygen, which can cause lipids to oxidise or go rancid. Long-lasting packs (also known as aseptic packaging) for beverages and dairy goods are created using aluminium foil, allowing for storage without refrigeration. In the shape of pouches, sachets, and tubes, as well as as tamper-evident closures, aluminium foil laminates are also used to package a variety of other oxygen or moisture sensitive foods, tobacco, and other products.
Aluminum Foil Market
Foil-rolling systems that are currently on the market can generate widths of up to 2150 mm and as thin as 0.006 mm at rolling rates of 2500 metres per minute thanks to production optimization throughout the years.
• Collecting and purifying CO2 from the electrolysis process for reuse would be a natural way to save energy.
• According to industry analysts researching the aluminium foil market, 6.4MMT of aluminium will be produced by 2022.
• With a market share of 64% in 2017, Asia Pacific (APAC) was the leading manufacturer of aluminium foils. 20 percent of the production came from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), 13 percent from North America, and 3 percent from Latin America.
• Up until 2022, the APAC aluminium foil market will expand at the fastest rate, 7.5% to 8%.
Global Aluminium Foil Market Size
Vendors have created inventive aluminium foil packaging solutions for the organised retail and packaged food markets in response to consumer preferences for simple and lightweight packaging. Future growth in dairy product packaging using aluminium foil and paper seems promising. The main end-use of aluminium foil, accounting for approximately 30% of the market, is the food and beverage industry.
• From 2019 to 2024, the global consumption of rolled foil may rise by 5% CAGR, with the transportation sector accounting for the largest market.
• According to market research on aluminium foil, the consumption of packaging might exceed $27 Mn by 2022 as a result of rising flexible packaging usage and rising packaged food demand.
• The need for aluminium foils, also known as pharma foils, is increasing as a result of pharmaceutical packaging, such as the strip-pack in tablets.
Industry Major Market Players:
· ACM Carcano
· Assan Aluminyum
· Ess Dee Aluminium
· Hindalco Industries Limited
· Huawei Aluminium
· Laminazione Sottile
· Shanghai Metal Corporation
· UACJ Foil Corporation
· Xiamen Xiashun Aluminium Foil Co., Ltd.
Zhejiang Junma Aluminum Industry