E Rickshaws are three wheel battery operated vehicles, which are considered as an upgrade to conventional rickshaws, and economically better than auto rickshaws and other fuel variants, these rickshaws, since are battery powered have zero emission, and is often argued to be much better than other rickshaws as they are considered almost pollution free. An E rickshaw is now fairly popular rickshaw drivers and has created new opportunities for people, as they require minimum investment to earn a living. They offer huge returns in less time, and are easy to operate and have low maintenance and running cost.
E rickshaws are now one of the preferred modes of transport in streets because of its low maintenance cost, low fuel cost, Eco-friendly, no noise pollution, easy to drive and last but not the least livelihood, e-rickshaw is a boon to the common man. Without putting in much physical efforts and without investing much amount of money, the earning is quite good for an e-rickshaw driver and hence it is an important means of livelihood for many. These e-rickshaws consist of 3 wheels with a differential mechanism at rear wheels. Basically these vehicles have a mild steel tubular chassis.
Advantages of E-Rickshaws
• Eco–Friendly – E-Rickshaws can be the best alternative to petrol or diesel run vehicles as they are operated on battery. These rickshaws do not emit smoke and thus, will not contribute to the increasing air pollution. The batteries which will be used for the functioning of these rickshaws can be effectively recycled and thus, will solve the problem of battery disposal.
• Economical – E-rickshaws are comparatively cheap and can be easily afforded by a common man. Passengers will have to pay a less transport charge. It is cost effective not only for the consumers but also for the owners. The batteries can be easily recharged from home or from any place that provides a proper voltage.
• Free from Noise Pollution – E-rickshaws are free from creating noise pollution as they do not emit any sound. Passengers can have a smooth and comfortable ride.
• Livelihood – E-rickshaws provide a means of livelihood for the common as well as illiterate people. Without investing much of money, the e-rickshaw drivers can earn a good livelihood.
• Safety – E-rickshaws involve less risk when compared to the other fuel operating vehicles. They can cause less accident as they are slower and lighter than an auto rickshaw. There is a chance of explosion in the case of fuel operating vehicles.
• Easy Maintenance – As they use electricity, they do not require fuel to operate the engines. E-rickshaws are free from an engine and a gear box and thus, the burden of maintenance is reduced. The motor which is used in these rickshaws is smaller and the battery is placed below it. Hence, maintaining them is quite easier.
The global e-Rickshaw market is projected to expand at around 9% CAGR during the upcoming period. The growth of the market is attributed to low cost of transportation and low power consumption. E-rickshaws are widely accepted as an alternative to diesel, petrol, CNG auto rickshaws. Increasing awareness about the air pollution and other environmental issues which can be reduced by using the e-rickshaws. In the e-rickshaw the main electronic components that make the drive are controller, motor, batteries, harness and throttle. The mismatch between any of these components is nasty and may reduce performance. The global e-Rickshaw market is projected to expand at around 9% CAGR during the period. The growth of the market is attributed to low cost of transportation due better mileage and low power consumption. Increase in sales and production of electric vehicles as an alternative for fuel-based mobility, owing to several government initiatives and environmental regulations on the electric vehicle industry, is projected to drive the e-rickshaw market.