Adhesive, also known as glue, cement, mucilage, or paste, is any non-metallic substance applied to one or both surfaces of two separate items that binds them together and resists their separation. The use of adhesives offers certain advantages over other binding techniques such as sewing, mechanical fastenings, or welding. These include the ability to bind different materials together, the more efficient distribution of stress across a joint, the cost-effectiveness of an easily mechanized process, and greater flexibility in design.
Adhesives are typically organized by the method of adhesion followed by reactive or non-reactive, a term which refers to whether the adhesive chemically reacts in order to harden. Alternatively, they can be organized either by their starting physical phase or whether their raw stock is of natural or synthetic origin.
- Adhesion to a variety of substrates allows bonding of dissimilar materials if necessary
- High cohesive strength is desirable
- Flexibility improves peel strength by flexing with peel stress
- High elastic modulus of substrate and adhesive resists stress at the bond line
- High damping capacity of the adhesive dissipates dynamic stresses of vibration, motion, & impact throughout the bond & peel stresses at the bond line
Indian adhesives market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6%, mainly driven by technological advancements and infrastructure growth. Macroeconomic factors such as low per capita consumption and increasing disposable income will act as catalysts for the growth of the adhesives market in India. From 2019 to 2021, the global adhesives & sealants market will see growth in applications such as paper and packaging, medical and hygiene, as well as consumer and construction.
Few Indian Major Players
1. D H Resins & Chemicals Pvt. Ltd.
2. D I C India Ltd.
3. F C L Technologies & Products Ltd.
4. Feroke Boards Ltd.
5. Golden Chem-Tech Ltd.
6. Henkel Adhesives Technologies India Pvt. Ltd.
7. Konar Organics Ltd.
8. Leela Packagings Ltd.