Methylated spirits is a clear, colourless liquid that is commonly used across most industrial industries and is often used within the household. The methylated spirits boiling point is 78 °C and the flashpoint is 11 °C. Methylated spirits is often referred to as denatured alcohol which means that it contains a denaturant in it so it cannot be consumed. Sydney Solvents methylated spirits is 99% methylated spirits with a 1% bitrex in it. If it didn’t contain denaturant in the methylated spirits it would be classed as normal alcohol that is safe to drink.
- As a popular home remedy for sterilising and hardening the skin, especially on the feet of hill walkers and runners in order to help prevent blisters
- To ‘toughen up’ soft skin on the fingertips when learning to play stringed instruments such as guitar or cello
- For the treatment and prevention of bed sores in patients who are bed-ridden. Surgical Spirit works by tightening, hardening and disinfecting the outer layer of skin
- For the treatment of minor cuts and abrasions where it acts as a disinfectant leaving the skin bacteria-free
Surgical spirits are useful in killing bacteria, viruses and fungus. They are able to cross the lipid layer of the bacteria cell wall, destroying the cell membrane and reaching the cell's interior components to destroy the organism. However, because they are unable to kill bacterial spores, surgical spirits are considered antiseptic but not sterilizing agents. For this reason, they are acceptable for household use and minor medical applications but not for more advanced procedures such as instrument cleaning. Surgical spirits may be used to clean cuts or as a household disinfectant. Surgical spirits are solutions of ethanol that are toxic and unfit for consumption because of the addition of methanol and other ingredients.
Few Indian major players
1. Adroit Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
2. Bajaj Hindustan Sugar Ltd.
3. Bhalkeshwar Sugars Ltd.
4. Deepak Fertilisers & Petrochemicals Corpn. Ltd.
5. Sharayu Agro Inds. Ltd.