Turkey Red Oil which are also known as sulphonated castor oil in the trade, is the oldest textile finishing agent. One of such products derived by the use of castor oil is Turkey Red Oil. It is also popularly known as Sulfated Castor Oil. This oil is widely appreciated in the market for its capacity to easily disperse in water, its long life shelf and its purity. Turkey red Oil is essentially an intimate mixture of pigments, oil varnishes, driers, and frequently waxy or greasy compounds.
Turkey Red Oil is used as an emulsifier for bath oils and as a humectant in cosmetics. Other than these, it is also used in the textile industry and sugar industries as a defoaming agent and also as an emulsifier.
· In textiles, as surfactants and wetting agents, in paper industry for defoaming, in cosmetics as emulsifiers, in pharmaceuticals industry as undecylenate, in paints inks and as lubricants.
· For the soap-making industry that wishes to manufacture transparent soaps, this Turkey Red Oil or sulfonated castor oil helps in superfatting liquid soap.
· This oil also helps to emulsify essential oils so that they can dissolve in other water-based products.
· It is the only oil that will completely disperse in water. It is a surfactant and therefore makes a wonderful base for bath oil as it mixes well with water, producing a milk bath.
· Sulfonated castor oil is also used in agriculture as organic manure, in paper industry for defoaming, in pharmaceuticals as undecylenate, in paints, inks, softeners and in lubricants.
The global Sulphonated Castor Oil market was valued at USD million in 2019 and it is expected to reach USD million by the end of 2026, growing at a CAGR of during 2021-2026. The global sulfated castor oil market is at a dynamic evolution stage owing to the shift industries from petrochemical resources. The rising shift of consumers towards bio-based chemicals which is attributed to the fluctuating prices of petrochemicals and rising demand of sustainable and bio-degradable plant-based chemical products is driving the growth of global sulfated castor oil market.
Few Indian Major Players
1. Adya Oils & Chemicals Ltd.
2. Biotor Industries Ltd.
3. Ihsedu Agrochem Pvt. Ltd.
4. Jayant Agro-Organics Ltd.
5. Kalyani Refineries Ltd.
6. Mangalam Global Enterprise Ltd.
7. N K Industries Ltd.