Activated carbon is a type of carbon that has been treated with oxygen to open up millions of tiny pores between the carbon atoms. This increases the surface area of the carbon, which in turn, makes it more effective at adsorbing pollutants and impurities from water. Activated carbon is made from a variety of natural sources, like rice husk, sawdust, and coconut shell. When it comes to filtering water, activated carbon is the magic bullet.
Carbon is probably the most widely distributed element in nature. It occurs in two allotropic crystalline forms, viz. graphite (hexagonal system) and diamond (isomeric system), the former is soft and black white diamond is hard and transparent. Charcoal coke and carbon black, classified as amorphous carbon, are considered by same to represent a third form, they are said to be composed of very minute crystals of graphite by others. Carbon is an essential constituent of all vegetable and animal matter in which constituent and other elements in immense variety of Oxygen and other elements compounds. In combinations with hydrogen, it occurs as hydrocarbons in petroleum. It is also found in carbon dioxide in air (0.03%), as sodium bicarbonates in sea water, and as calcium and magnesium carbonates in sedimentary rocks such as chalk and dolomite.
Many carbons of industrial value are prepared from coal and from organic vegetable and animal matter. The resulting amorphous products include charcoal, coke and petroleum coke. Several carbon products are prepared and used in the electrical and electrochemical industry.
The term Activated carbon, active carbon, or active charcoal is usually applied to amorphous carbons possessing higher absorption capacities than wood or animal charcoal. Many processing were developed during world war for the production of effective adsorbents for use in gasmasks. Industrial activated carbons in the forms of pellets, granules or fine powders, and with many industrial applications, are now on the market under different trade names.
Uses and Application
Activated carbon is a porous material that can adsorb organic compounds from liquids or gases. This makes it ideal for filtering water, as it can remove impurities such as chlorine, bacteria, and pesticides.
There are many uses and applications of activativate carbon are:
1. Activated carbon can be used to filter water and make it safe to drink.
2. It can also be used to remove impurities from air, making it cleaner and healthier to breathe.
3. It can be used to remove impurities from water, including chlorine and other chemicals.
4. Activated carbon can also be used in industries to remove toxins and pollutants from waste water before it is released back into the environment.
5. Additionally, activated carbon can be used in chemical manufacturing processes to purify chemicals and remove impurities.
6. Activated carbon filters are often used by smokers to purify cigarette smoke.
7. Activated carbon can also remove bad tastes and odors from water.
8. Activated carbon is a great way to make sure your drinking water is clean and safe.
9. It is a very inexpensive option that you should consider when buying bottled water.
10. A well-maintained system of activated carbon filters can provide you with fresh filtered water every day at a low cost.
The global activated carbon market is projected to grow from $3.12 billion in 2021 to $4.50 billion in 2028 at a CAGR of 5.4% in forecast period, 2021-2028. This growth is primarily due to the increasing awareness of the benefits of activated carbon and its wide range of applications. Moreover, the growing water treatment industry in India is also expected to drive the demand for activated carbon over the forecast period. Additionally, the growing demand for clean water, especially in rural areas, is expected to drive the market for activated carbon in India.
The major drivers for the market are the increasing demand from the water treatment industry and the growing awareness about the health benefits of consuming filtered water.
The major types of activated carbon available in the market are granular activated carbon (GAC), powdered activated carbon (PAC), and extruded activated carbon (EAC). GAC is the most widely used type in India, followed by PAC.
This growth can be attributed to the rising demand for water treatment and air purification systems. Moreover, the implementation of stringent environmental regulations is anticipated to drive the market further. Notably, Activated Carbon from Rice Husk, Saw Dust & Coconut Shell are extensively used in various industries including oil & gas and petrochemicals.
Industry Major Market Players:
1. CarbPure Technologies
2. Boyce Carbon
3. Cabot Corporation
4. Kuraray Co.
5. CarboTech AC GmbH
6. Donau Chemie AG
7. Haycarb (Pvt) Ltd.
8. Jacobi Carbons Group
9. Kureha Corporation
10. Osaka Gas Chemicals Co., Ltd.
11. Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
12. Oxbow Activated Carbon LLC
13. Carbon Activated Corporation
14. Hangzhou Nature Technology Co., Ltd.
15. Datong Coal Jinding Activated Carbon Co.
17. Sorbent JSC
18. Henkel AG and Company KGaA
19. Avery Dennison Corporation