Lithium batteries are now powering a wide range of electrical and electronical devices, including laptop computers, mobile phones, power tools, telecommunication systems and new generations of electric cars and vehicles. Lithium metal batteries and lithium ion batteries.
• Lighter Design: Li-ion batteries are lighter as compared to other rechargeable batteries considering the battery capacity and are thus used in portable consumer electronic devices where weight and form factor are the important selling points.
• Low Self-discharge and Longer Shelf Life: Li-ion battery has lower self-discharge rate as compared to other rechargeable batteries, about 1.5 percent per month which enables longer shelf life when not in use as it discharges slowly than other rechargeable batteries.
• Quick Charging: Lithium-ion batteries take lesser time to charge as compared to other rechargeable batteries like lead acid, nickel-metal hydride, and nickel- cadmium.
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, also known as secondary batteries, are rechargeable batteries in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode, usually made of carbon, to the positive electrode made of a metal oxide (nickel, manganese and cobalt) during discharge, and back when charging.
(1) The Li-ion batteries are used in cameras, calculators.
(2) They are used in cardiac pacemakers and other implantable device.
(3) They are used in telecommunication equipment, instruments, portable radios and TVs, pagers.
(4) They are used to operate laptop computers and mobile phones and aerospace application.
The global Lithium Ion Battery Market is expected to grow from USD 40.5 billion in 2020 to USD 91.9 billion in 2026 with a compounded annual growth rate of 14.63%. Demand for electric vehicles is forecast at 19.1% CAGR over the period to 2026, with strong sales volume in developing countries. The US, China, Japan, India and other countries present strong potential for growth in batteries.
Few Indian Major Players
1. Anand Batteries Ltd.
2. Bharat Electronics Ltd.
3. Carborundum Universal Ltd.
4. Eon Electric Ltd.
5. Exide Industries Ltd.
6. H B L Power Systems Ltd.
7. Luminous Power Technologies Pvt. Ltd.